Skip to main content

I was arrested for retail theft and furnishing alcohol to a minor should I get a lawyer?

South Burlington, VT |

I live in Vermont I myself am only 20, i let a friend (also 20) walk out of the store where I was working with about $20 in beer, two under cover cops were watching us. I have a previously sealed charged for minor shoplifting (paid a fine and did community service) in a different state but otherwise a clean record

If i don't get a lawyer will i be facing jail time? and is there any chance to get this wiped off my record with a lawyer?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Definitely get a lawyer. As to sentence, just on this you're not going to jail. You might be able to get diversion or a deferred sentence. Probation is more likely. Having an attorney will definitely improve the deal you are able to get.

    I am not your attorney. There is no attorney-client relationship between us, and this answer does not create one.

  2. Not even a close call - you must get a lawyer to assist you.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  3. I agree completely with Mr. Doland. The question as stated has only one valid answer. The choice is obviously yours to make; but it seems to me, especially at your young age, that your goal ought to be minimizing the substantial long term negative consequences that flow from criminal convictions. You've got a lot of years ahead of you, and I would not want to see you regretting the choice you make today. Good luck.

  4. No answer can improve upon the advice to hire counsel. Hire counsel.

  5. Your situation is extremely fact dependent. I suggest you post no further information on the Internet and pay for a criminal defense attorney to represent you.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics