I was arrested for retail theft and furnishing alcohol to a minor should I get a lawyer?

South Burlington, VT |

I live in Vermont I myself am only 20, i let a friend (also 20) walk out of the store where I was working with about $20 in beer, two under cover cops were watching us. I have a previously sealed charged for minor shoplifting (paid a fine and did community service) in a different state but otherwise a clean record

If i don't get a lawyer will i be facing jail time? and is there any chance to get this wiped off my record with a lawyer?

Definitely get a lawyer. As to sentence, just on this you're not going to jail. You might be able to get diversion or a deferred sentence. Probation is more likely. Having an attorney will definitely improve the deal you are able to get.

I am not your attorney. There is no attorney-client relationship between us, and this answer does not create one.

Not even a close call - you must get a lawyer to assist you.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

I agree completely with Mr. Doland. The question as stated has only one valid answer. The choice is obviously yours to make; but it seems to me, especially at your young age, that your goal ought to be minimizing the substantial long term negative consequences that flow from criminal convictions. You've got a lot of years ahead of you, and I would not want to see you regretting the choice you make today. Good luck.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Much better stated than my brief answer. Respectfully,

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

That you much for the kind words counsellor. Btw, nothing wrong with getting to the point immediately.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

At the beginning of my career I walked into a lawyer's office. Instead of a name plaque on his desk, which used to be quite common, he had a sign that said "just exactly what do you want." It made a big impression on several levels.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Thanks I needed that reminder. Have a great New Year!

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

Respectfully and collegially, the same good wishes to you and your family.

L. Maxwell Taylor

L. Maxwell Taylor

My vote for best answer would go to Mr. Jones. if I had a vote.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

When I first joined Avvo I had no idea that (1) I would find such a collegial attitude such as you have just demonstrated (2) that I would learn so much from the answers posted by many of my colleagues (3) that responding would be so "addictive". Let me wish you the best in the New Year.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

It can indeed be addictive, and it is certainly a learning experience of many levels.

No answer can improve upon the advice to hire counsel. Hire counsel.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Thank you kind sir. Perhaps you can help respond to the additional information posted by the questioner at least since my response. I'm not licensed in VT or otherwise familiar with local practices, but I would hope that jail is an unlikely prospect under any circumstance given the context. My concern for the questioner are the hidden future negative consequences that he/she has absolutely no conception of. The potential for future relief if convicted is clearly beyond my ability to respond, but serves to strengthen my belief that finding the money to hire a skilled criminal defense attorney now will be viewed for many years into the future as the questioner's best investment in their successful future. Thanks again and a blessed New Year.

L. Maxwell Taylor

L. Maxwell Taylor

Perhaps the possibility exists for a deal that includes diversion, depending upon the inclination of the State's Attorney. Criminal defense counsel would be able to advise asker on this issue. I cannot speak further to the question.

L. Maxwell Taylor

L. Maxwell Taylor

Happy New Year to you as well!

Your situation is extremely fact dependent. I suggest you post no further information on the Internet and pay for a criminal defense attorney to represent you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.