I was arrested for prowling for supposedly having burglary tools in my tool box.. I asked them what you mean by burglary tools..

Asked 11 months ago - Garden Grove, CA

I had no burglary tools it was 5 am... I was helping my friend cause he ran out of gas...they towed my car that they are holding and I have to pay 190 dollars to get it back... do they have a right to do so

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

4

1

Answered . Any tool or object could be considered a burglary tool, but the prosecution has to prove that you had the specific intent to use those tools to commit a burglary. Everybody has a screwdriver and there isn't a law against carrying one in your car or even in your pocket. They'd have to prove that you intended to use that screwdriver to break into something.

Without knowing more details of why they towed your car, I can't comment whether it was proper or not. If you were arrested (not just cited and released), they could [potentially] tow your car for "safekeeping" rather than leave it on the side of the road.

The attorney that represents you can review the reports and discuss this with you further.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

4

Answered . It appears that your vehicle may have fit the description of a vehicle recently used in a burglary in that vicinity. So you have bigger problems then the $190. In fact, residential burglary is a strike and taken very seriously in any county. Lawyer up.

3. Lisa Michelle Bassis

4

Answered . If sounds like you have a good defense, particularly if your friend will back you up. However, this is nothing to be casual about. You will need the assistance of counsel to prove that there was an innocent explanation for your possession of tools at 5:00 am and that there was no nexus between you and some other crime that I assume was recently committed in the area.

4. William James Campbell Jr

1

Answered . It sounds like you need to litigate these criminal allegations. You need to consult counsel.