I was arrested for my first DUI and also got charged 3 other tickets. What are the best things I could do on this case?

Palm Beach Gardens, FL |

While I was driving home. Suddenly, I got distracted from the phone( I didn't pick up) and I saw the traffic light turning yellow then I stopped immediately that make a loud sound from the tires but I didn't ran over the red light. And the police in the plaza coming out and follow me and stopped me. I did the road test but when the policeman ask me to do the breath test, I didn't understand or hear what he said and on the report he said that I refused him to do it. After that day, I went to scheduled DUI school and applied a Administrative Permit at the DSHMV. And I'm planning to get Public Defencer because of the financial and I'm pending for the court now. Please help me because this is my 1st DUI and I don't know wat to do next or if I need to do something before go to the court. Thanks

1. There are way too many issues and consequences to hit in this format. U do need to know you have ten days to request a hearing with the DMV. You should call a lawyer immediately. My firm offers free consultations.

2. I would hire a private lawyer if you can. If you end up pleading out to a DUI you will face a mandatory conviction and you will never be able to expunge your arrest. I am glad you applied for your DMV hearing but there are legal arguments to be raised and public defender will not help you with that. I would suggest you contact family and get competent help down in your area. Good luck to you!

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

3. Call a lawyer. A consultation will not cost anything. DUI's are very complex and I would suggest being represented at all phases, including Admin. Rev. Hearings. There are lots of good attorneys here on AVVO that would be glad to discuss your case.

4. You need to consult an experienced DUI attorney in Palm Beach Gardens. It sounds like the only law violation was screeching tires. That alone would not put an officer under the impression you were DUI. If the proper procedure was not followed with respect to reading you implied consent for your breath test, you may be able to exclude the refusal.
    Review my website to see if it answers any questions you may have.

5. Try to hire a DUI attorney, not simply utilize the Public Defender. You should be getting an expert attorney, not a general practice attorney. PD attorneys can be good, but lack the specific knowledge in this are, most often, because they do many things. You have a lot of issues, from the transition to the testing and then arrest stages, which may get your case dismissed or reduced...go see an expert. Borrow the money if necessary, if you can....

6. The short answer is hire a DUI attorney. Abruptly stopping might not be a valid basis for a stop. The details are important and discovery is essential to get those details. You also need to request a formal review within 10 days of your arrest or your license will be suspended.

7. You need to hire an attorney with DUI experience immediatley. These are complicated issues and do not attempt to do a DIY DUI defense. The outcome of this case will affect you for YEARS. Yes, an attorney is not cheap, but the amount of money you will pay in fines, costs and increased insurance rates will add up to even more money if this is mishandled.

The information provided herein is provided as general legal information and does not constitute legal advice. The information is based on the facts given and should not be relied upon by the reader. An attorney-client relationship is not established by this transmitting this information. The best way to receive accurate advice and establish an attorney-client relationship is by retaining a licensed attorney.

DUI court topics