I was arrested for marijuana possession what should I expect for my first offense

Asked over 1 year ago - Nashua, NH

I was pulled over for speeding and the cop asked if I had marijuana because it smelled like it I admitted that I had about 2 grams and a smoking device I was reliesed to my parents I'm an 18 year old college student that lives in New Hampshire and this is my first offence and have no other criminal history I know what the maximum penalty for this is I'm just wondering what to expect for a sentence

1. Donald L. Blaszka Jr.

3

Answered . In New Hampshire, Possession of a Controlled Drug is a Class A or Class B misdemeanor depending on how the prosecution charges you.

A Class A Misdemeanor is punishable up to 12 months in jail and or a $2,000 fine plus 24% penalty assessment. A Class B Misdemeanor is punishable up to $1,200 fine plus 24% penalty assessment.

You are also facing a possible loss of license of 90 days up to 6 months through the court with a minimum fine of $350 plus 24% penalty assessment if found guilty or if you plead guilty.

You should contact a local NH criminal defense attorney to represent you in your case.

2. Frank Mascagni III

3

Answered . You need to contact a competent criminal defense attorney to represent you. The speeding provided the legal right for the police to pull you over; the "plain smell" of the marijuana provide further probable cause and lastly your admission to a crime sealed the deal.

I expanded your post so some avvo criminal defense lawyers who practice in NH might respond. Get counsel.

3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree that you need to contact a criminal defense lawyer right away. The issue is not what the sentence will be but whether you will be convicted and have a drug record. Among other things, a conviction for this, even with a $10 fine will mean you get no federal financial aid.

A drug conviction may keep you from being considered for employment in jobs you want.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.