Skip to main content

I was arrested for DUI 1 year ago and still have never been called to court for arraignment.

Detroit, MI |

There is no warrent out for me or no record of a case with the court. I still have the temporary paper I'm supposed to carry with me when driving because they took my license. I don't want to get into trouble but I also am not about to call the court and say please arraign me if the paper work was "accidently lost". I was going to obtain my driving record with the DMV to see if anything comes up. What should I do??

Attorney Answers 4


You'll have a long wait. The statute of limitations still has another 5 years on it. You will not have a real license during that time. But, you might be able to wait it out.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


The Temporary Permit is probably on your driving record. Get a copy of your driving record to see if it is. If it is, and it almost certainly is, you will never be able to get a new picture license back until the Temporary Permit is cleared. So, yes, wait a while longer, but if you want a picture license, you will have to eventually deal with it. Whether that is by going to the police department that arrested you, or contacting the Secretary of State, may depend on the circumstances. The court can't do anything if they don't have a file on you. If the Temporary Permit is not on your driving record, you will probably be able to get a new picture license now. It is also possible that although there is not a warrant, there may be a suspension of your driver's license for FAC (Failure to Appear at court), for a court date for which you never received notice. Get that driving record and call an attorney now, just to get some further insight into the situation. Frank B. Ford 313-565-9289

The information contained in this answer is intended to convey general information. Nothing contained in this answer is intended as specific legal advice. Although the content is believed to be accurate as to Michigan law, no guarantee is made that it is accurate and up-to-date. This is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with these other fine attorneys and recommend you call one of them now. As they noted, there could be a few different possibilities. On the west side of the state where I am located, the courts have been dismissing OWI cases that have been taking too long. This is only happening in cases that involve blood samples that have yet to be analyzed due to a backlog at the MSP lab in Lansing. Basically, as I understand it, when testing for the presence of drugs, the process takes longer than when testing for the presence of alcohol. This, apparently is the reason for the backlog. Regardless of why, the court is getting tired of waiting and has been dismissing the cases altogether. While I do not know what happened to your case, it would be prudent to call one of these attorneys for assistance. I do have a current OWI case that seems to have fallen through the cracks and we are just waiting it out for now. Only time will tell. Good Luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You already have answers from three fine Michigan lawyers. As someone you cannot hire for this, I am writing you to urge that you do hire a lawyer for this, now. Let that lawyer explore the possibilities. You certainly want to leave a sleeping dog lie. In the meantime stay out of trouble and consider getting an alcohol assessment and/or treatment. This is often covered by insurance when done voluntarily and often is not covered when court-ordered.

Often people think that because it isn’t a murder case, a drunk driving case is simple. Nothing could be further from the truth. These cases can be among the most complex a criminal defense lawyer handles. The government is willing to spend an incredible amount of money to convict you though. They will have expert witnesses available for consultation and trial.

That you have been charged or that some contraption says your alcohol level was at a certain level does not mean that you are guilty. It certainly does not mean that you can be proven guilty using competent, valid evidence.

Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

After even a first drunk driving conviction, you may face employment discrimination. You will certainly be charged higher for insurance. Having such a conviction will also make you a target for drunk driving arrest in future interactions with police. You will automatically become a suspect.

You will want a lawyer who is familiar with field sobriety “tests,” perhaps one who is certified to administer these tests. You will want a lawyer familiar with the weaknesses of the contraptions that are used to report alcohol or drug levels. You want an experienced trial lawyer, used to cross-examining police officers. Police officers are practiced, experienced witnesses.

That is, you want an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer, whether you call the offense DUI, OWI, DWI, OUI, or drugged driving.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment

Edward Jacob Sternisha

Edward Jacob Sternisha


Very well said!

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics