Skip to main content

I was arrested for DUI, and I'm being charged with OUIL. A blood test was taken. What kind of punishment/charges will I get?

Warren, MI |

I wrecked my car when I was on valium. The arresting officer gave me a breathalizer, and a blood test (once I was at jail).

I am wondering what the charges will be, and how long before my first court date is. (I was arrested july 1st, and haven't heard anything yet)

The valium: I took these AFTER I crashed. I didn't know what to do so I flipped out and took like 5 10mgs after I crashed my car.

edit: I blew a 0.02, I am also 18 and live in michigan. I've never been in trouble with the law before this.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You should get a lawyer sooner rather than later. That is your best chance to avoid jail on this charge. You will have your arraignment date soon but it will only be the first of at least three Court dates, maybe more.

  2. It frequently takes 6 months before blood test results are returned from the Michigan State Police forensic laboratory. Hire a lawyer now as opposed to waiting until you find out there is a charge against you. In some cases with prescription medication, charges can be avoided with a good criminal defense lawyer's intervention. If you do nothing, you will be charged and then even a great criminal defense lawyer will have a hard time getting the charges dismissed.

    I encourage you to use to find a 10.0 rated criminal defense lawyer. Most retained criminal defense attorneys will offer you a free telephone consultation. Feel free to consult with an attorney in any part of Michigan as it is not uncommon for criminal defense lawyers to travel throughout the state.

    Mr. Loren Dickstein, Esq.
    3000 Town Center, Ste. 1310
    Southfield, MI 48075
    (248) 263-6800
    Fax: (248) 357-1371
    AV Rated (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell

    Click on the picture to see the profile of the lawyer answering your question. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

  3. You appear to have a valid defense to the charges because of when you took the drugs. I strongly suggest you hire an attorney right away. It will make a difference.

    Good luck.

    You may call our office at 516-248-6600 or send an email to us at This answer does not form an attorney/client relationship with anyone and any answers do not constitute direct legal advice and should not be followed unless and until you have spoken with an attorney of your choice.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics