I was arrested for drunk in public will this affect my adjustment of status

Asked 12 months ago - San Jose, CA

I was booked into jail but the da did not file charges

1. Joshua Kaizuka

1

Answered . Much depends on whether an individual has other criminal issues in the past. In many counties, individuals arrest for drunk in public, PC 647(f), are arrested not booked, put in a drunk tank, and then released. In others, they are booked, then the DA's office reviews the report and decides not to file charges depending on the facts. If the case was not filed and "rejected" by the DA's office, then you may be eligible to obtain a "certificate of detention only." In essence, that will change the label of "arrest" to "detention only" which may lessen any impacts if any. The best thing to do is to consult an immigration lawyer in your area.

2. Madhu Kalra

Pro

1

Answered . You should consult with an attorney with your past criminal history of all arrests and convictions, if any. Just by its self, arrest for drunk in public and later release without filing of charges, should not affect your right to seek adjustment of status.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

1

Answered . Most likely not, as you could be on probation after a conviction and still be able to obtain a green card, depending on the nature of the crime.