Skip to main content

I was arrested for driving with a suspended license for an unpaid speeding ticket.

Savannah, GA |

I was arrested for driving with a suspended license for an unpaid speeding ticket.

The police were called to my house for an issue I had with a family member. I was unaware the license was suspended because I thought I paid the ticket. The police did not pull me over, did not see me driving, or anything of that nature. What can I do?

Attorney Answers 2


Did you tell the police that you had been driving, or did any of your family members tell the police you had been driving? While it is good that the police did not see you driving that is not an automatic win. You have to be careful with the suspended license charge because it arrives a minimum fine of $500, 2 days in jail, and carries an additional 6 month license suspension. If you can get the unpaid ticket cleared, reinstate your driver's license, and show your license to the prosecutor when you go to court.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Mark as helpful

1 comment



I did tell him I was driving. I have paid the ticket and have my license.


A lawyer would need to confer with you regarding the details. For example: was there an outstanding warrant for your arrest? MNy others, but I hope you get the point.... see a criminal defense lawyer soon.

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics