I was arrested for domestic violence in new jersey due to a false complaint by my ex wife. I was found not guilty during trial

Asked about 1 year ago - Jersey City, NJ

and the case was dismissed against me. How do I go about expunging the arrest record so that it doesnt show up when I apply for new job or immigration? I would like to do it myself and I am not in a position to spend a lot. How much would it cost me?

1. Mark M Cheser

Pro

5

1

Answered . The arrest can be immediately expunged. That normally works for employment but may not work for immigration. Go to a State website on expungements and they will have the papers and instruction. The filing fees and mailing costs come to less that $200. But if you miss a data base or and item it was wasted effort. An attorney familiar with the process makes sense.

2. David F Salvaggio

5

Answered . I suggest that you re-post your question in the "Criminal Defense" Practice Area.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

5

Answered . You may expunge it immediately. You must still mention it on most immigration applications. Do not do any immigration yourself with a record.

4. Bryan Todd Eggert

3

Answered . You should consult a criminal defense attorney (or an attorney experience in the area). The filing fee for the application is $52.50 and then there are numerous agencies which have to be given notice of the application which has to be done via certified mail return receipt requested. This costs about $7.00 per agency. If you try to do it yourself (not recommended), there is a pro se expungement package available via the Court's website.