I was arrested for domestic violence - strangulation and I am a permanent resident. What are my options?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

I did admit to the cops that I did it. I was not on drugs or alcohol at the time. My girlfriend (victim) is pregnant, but the baby is okay, but she did have marks on her neck. We are no longer together because of the incident and she will testify against me I'm sure. I heard if I plead guilty, or get a plea bargain I still plead guilty to a misdemeanor I could get deported, is that true? Are there any other options?

1. Brian J Smith

2

Answered . A conviction for battery domestic violence, even as a misdemeanor, can have serious immigration consequences. There are ways to negotiate these cases that can prevent them, but it is very much on a case by case basis.

2. David R. Fischer

Pro

1

Answered . The safest approach to this question is to consult an attorney who knows this area of immigration law. In other words, an attorney who knows how specific criminal charges impact immigration status in the United States. Also, you may consider consulting your home country consulate.

Of course, you should also hire a Nevada Criminal Defense Attorney to limit your exposure to the Nevada criminal system.

3. Thomas D. Boley

Answered . First of all you need to be concerned with the risk of prison. Battery constituting domestic violence with strangulation is a Felony and bears serious consequences. You need a skilled criminal defense attorney who is also familiar with immigration consequences. Pleading guilty to a misdemeanor battery domestic violence is not going to be helpful. If a plea bargain is appropriate, it will take serious negotiation skills since the victim is cooperating with the prosecution. You need a lawyer now.