I was arrested for domestic battery but i cant afford an attorney. what should i do? i am an E4 in the army.

Junction City, KS |

me and my husband had an argument he started pulling me and holding onto me so i used my arms and legs to try to get away. he hit me in the head so i called the cops. they came and arrested me and charged me for domestic violence because i kicked and pushed him. my husband did not press any charges and is willing to help defend me in court. but i was told i needed an attorney but i cannot afford one. what other options do i have?

1. Have you consulted with any attorneys yet? if so, and you can't work out a payment plan then you should apply for a public defender.

2. You definately need an atttorney. As I am sure you are aware, a conviction for domestic violence could easily end your military carreer. If you truely cannot afford to hire contact the court as soon as possible and find out their process for requesting appointed counsel. Assuming it is a misdemeanor I doubt they will appoint a public defender but have a list of private attorneys who accept appointments. DO NOT talk about the facts with anyone but your lawyer. Your husband's attitude is helpful but will not be the deciding factor.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

Domestic violence topics