I was arrested for domestic battery but i cant afford an attorney. what should i do? i am an E4 in the army.

Asked over 1 year ago - Junction City, KS

me and my husband had an argument he started pulling me and holding onto me so i used my arms and legs to try to get away. he hit me in the head so i called the cops. they came and arrested me and charged me for domestic violence because i kicked and pushed him. my husband did not press any charges and is willing to help defend me in court. but i was told i needed an attorney but i cannot afford one. what other options do i have?

1. Patrick Michael Lewis

Pro

1

Answered . You definately need an atttorney. As I am sure you are aware, a conviction for domestic violence could easily end your military carreer. If you truely cannot afford to hire contact the court as soon as possible and find out their process for requesting appointed counsel. Assuming it is a misdemeanor I doubt they will appoint a public defender but have a list of private attorneys who accept appointments. DO NOT talk about the facts with anyone but your lawyer. Your husband's attitude is helpful but will not be the deciding factor.

2. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

1

Answered . Have you consulted with any attorneys yet? if so, and you can't work out a payment plan then you should apply for a public defender.