I was arrested for disorderly conduct and trespassing but completed a diversion program. Do I have a criminal record?

What will appear on a background check done for medical school? Will I have any issues obtaining a medical license. I have already been accepted to med school and don't want my admission to be taken away because of one mistake.

Downers Grove, IL -

Raymond George Wigell

Raymond George Wigell

Criminal Defense Attorney - Chicago, IL

If you successfully completed the diversion program only the arrest would remain on your record. Expungement, under those circumstances should be your next step.

Consult with an experienced criminal attorney ASAP.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - Mokena, IL

Did you receive supervision or dismissal? If so, how long ago. You should look into expungement if you qualify. Please see a local criminal defense attorney to assist you. There are many good ones near you.

David Scott Olshansky

David Scott Olshansky

Criminal Defense Attorney - Chicago, IL

All arrests, whether they end in a dismissal or even a finding of not guilty, will remain on your record until expunged. The removal of the record is called the expungement process. There are criteria to be eligible for an expungement, and in some cases waiting periods. You will need to contact an attorney to make sure you are eligible, and that there is no waiting period. As of now anyone who does a background check will show the arrest and the diversion. You will want to fix that.

Daniel G. Galivan

Daniel G. Galivan

Criminal Defense Attorney - Clarendon Hills, IL

After completion of the diversion program the charge would have been dismissed, making you eligible to file a petition to expunge the arrest. If granted, there will no longer be a record of it. www.galivanlaw.net

Related Advice