I was arrested for disorderly conduct and trespassing but completed a diversion program. Do I have a criminal record?

Asked over 1 year ago - Downers Grove, IL

What will appear on a background check done for medical school? Will I have any issues obtaining a medical license. I have already been accepted to med school and don't want my admission to be taken away because of one mistake.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Raymond George Wigell


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you successfully completed the diversion program only the arrest would remain on your record. Expungement, under those circumstances should be your next step.

    Consult with an experienced criminal attorney ASAP.

    Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should... more
  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Did you receive supervision or dismissal? If so, how long ago. You should look into expungement if you qualify. Please see a local criminal defense attorney to assist you. There are many good ones near you.

  3. David Scott Olshansky

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . All arrests, whether they end in a dismissal or even a finding of not guilty, will remain on your record until expunged. The removal of the record is called the expungement process. There are criteria to be eligible for an expungement, and in some cases waiting periods. You will need to contact an attorney to make sure you are eligible, and that there is no waiting period. As of now anyone who does a background check will show the arrest and the diversion. You will want to fix that.
    Good luck.

  4. Daniel G. Galivan

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . After completion of the diversion program the charge would have been dismissed, making you eligible to file a petition to expunge the arrest. If granted, there will no longer be a record of it. www.galivanlaw.net

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal charges for disorderly conduct

Disorderly conduct, usually a misdemeanor charge, means disrupting the peace or public space through threatening, disruptive, lewd, or drunken behavior.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,483 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,483 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering