Skip to main content

I was arrested for an OUI in Connecticut in 1997. I just found out that it is still an open case. How should I proceed?

Boston, MA |

I was arrested for an OUI in Connecticut in 1997. When my court date came up, I was in a halfway house for alcohol and drug addiction. I was unable to attend and the court was notified. The arrest was for driving while impaired by prescription medication.

Over the years I've been in and out of treatment programs for my addiction. I recently had an address change and notified the Massachusetts motor vehicle registry. I received a letter stating that my license was going to be suspended on October 31 if I did not take care of the outstanding issue in Connecticut. I have not been able to make arrangements to take care of the issue and am not sure how to proceed with this matter. Please advise. Thank you. Bob

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Speak with a local attorney in Connecticut where the OUI was located and see what they advise you to do. Almost invariably, you'll have to appear and straighten it out, regardless of how long its been outstanding. Otherwise, your license will be in limbo.

Good luck.


Hello there,

You need to hire an attorney to go and review your file and determine why they didn't do anything with this case sooner.

You have the right to a speedy trial. Not something that is going to be filed in and left to sit into perpetuity.

There are motions that can be filed to have this dismissed.


Erick Platten

Platten Law Office
Tyler, Texas

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer