I was arrested and charged for DUI but convicted of negligent driving in WA state. What do I tell potential employers?

Asked almost 6 years ago - Ellensburg, WA

I was arrested for driving under the influence (marijuana) a few years back in Ellensburg Washington. Long story short, instead of going to trial to fight it I agreed to do community service and probation and pled guilty to negligent driving. My question is what do I tell potential employers when asked in the initial phone screening if I have a DUI? Thank you in advance for your replies.

1. Aaron A Pelley

Answered . Not an immediate solution to your problem, but certainly something to keep in mind, is seeking to vacate your conviction. You would qualify 3 years after completing the terms of your sentence. This allows you, under the current statute, to tell employers that you have not been convicted of a crime. In addition, the conviction does not show up in a Washington State Patrol background check. There are some statutory qualifications.

2. Randall Lee Berman

Answered . Being arrested and charged is only an allegation. If you settled your case by pleaing to negligent driving, then the answer to the question if you have a DUI, is No. You might want to get a copy of the disposition of that case from your clerk of court to have in the event a background check shows the dui arrest and not the disposition, to prove how the case was resolved.