Skip to main content

I was arrested about a year ago for shoplifting at bloomingdales, will this affect my future with getting a job? record?

Bayside, NY |

i went to all my court dates, i was scheduled to call the community service center but never did, i am a full time student and full time employee. for the time being i am very busy and cannot attend. Also applying for a new job, if they were to do a background check, would this conviction come up ? what about me missing the community service, how can this affect me?
i am VERY worried, please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, it may be on your record. Contact the criminal defense attorney that represented you in this matter.


As for your record, it would depend on what if anything you plead guilty to. Regarding the missing community service, you should be worried as there is most probably a warrant out for your arrest. It would be much better if you dealt with the matter voluntarily instead of waiting for the police to pick you up. The court is not very interested in your busy schedule. I suggest returning to court as soon as possible to clear up the warrant and request a second chance to complete the community service. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


Immediately contact your criminal defense lawyer or get one. Your failure to perform commune service probably resulted a warrant for your arrest. Yes the warrant for arrest will be on your record. Take care of it now. Rearrange your busy schedule or face being arrested and possibly serving a jail sentence for failure to perform community service and the underlying charges instead of community service may have a jail alternative.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


If you did not do the community service your case was likely restored and you have a bench warrant. The case will show up on a background search. I suggest you retain a criminal defense lawyer ASAP to clear the warrant and get the case dismissed and sealed. I often handles these matters.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer