I was arrested /charged for lacency in New York 2000. I ageed to plead but did not turn up for court and left for France.

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I now have an interview in California and want to return. Will I be arrested in California when I go thru the airport. What can or should I do.

You could be arrested when you enter the country. The best thing to do is hire a lawyer in New York and see if they can get the case put back on calendar and have the warrant re-called. Then you could enter the country without getting arrested. You will still have to go back to New York and deal with your prior case as well as the consequences of fleeing.

The answers to these questions are intended for informational purposes. The attorney-client privilege does not attach and will not attach unless a written contact is entered into with Ms. Daly's firm. CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: If the above relates to a tax matter then, pursuant to Treasury Department Rules, we must advise you of the following: The advice contained in this communication was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service. Under the applicable Rules, a taxpayer may rely on our advice to avoid penalties only if the advice is reflected in a more formal tax opinion that conforms to IRS standards

You need to ask a NY attorney about what they can do about your case. As far as flying into California, it is likely that customs will take you into custody for an open warrant.

The warrant "lives" its long life in New York, and will remain as long as you remain a fugitive from justice. As my colleagues advise, an attorney in New York can try to get the case back on track. Depending on the severity, you could be arrested in California and begin a long ride in a gray van back to New York. Get this matter resolved.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

You have a warrant in NY and need an attorney there to clear this. Potentially you could get arrested when you land in CA. It will be up to NY to decide if they want to come and get you. Take care of this.