I was arrest at shoplifting for amount of money $999, this my first time,I have court appointment after 3 weeks, what should caI

Brooklyn, NY |

I have green card,does it affect me on citizenship

1. You present a significant problem for your future, a New York shoplifting charge, depending how you are charged, could be a state felony of different class, such as C, D, E with stated amounts. The charge indicates a serious felony case with a possibility of jail. Therefore, without any hesitation, while you still have time, research, compare and select an experienced criminal attorney licensed in New York.
    Another compelling reason you must deal with the case proactively and competently is its direct dire consequences on your prospects of naturalization in the United States. I cannot stress hard enough that your future in the U.S. is on the line here.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

2. First, hire a competent attorney that is familiar with immigration proceedings. As a crime involving theft and, therefore, moral turpetude, you could face removal proceedings, be rendered inadmissible to the United States, or denied citizenship if convicted. Thus, it is critical you do what you can to avoid being convicted.

3. You need an experienced attorney to represent you. A conviction for shoplifting could dramatically impact your immigration status.

4. I handle cases like this all the time. Your case is very serious. You were only $2 from a felony. I suggest you hire a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

5. It can affect your citizenship if you are convicted. Hire a good attorney as soon as you can.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Shoplifting topics