I was approved for a green card but left the US can I continue with the process?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

My dad petitioned me in 2001 I received the notice in 2003 and left voluntarily the US in 2005. My dad is a Citizen, the status of the petition is Post Decision. I live in Tijuana, Mexico. Is there a way I can continue with the process, or is it lost completely?

Additional information

It was under section: unmarried child (under 21) of us citizen, 201(b) INA.

I got to the US when I was 10 yrs old and left when I was 19 yrs old.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ronald Jeffrey Tasoff


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Need to know more. Assuming you are over 21 you are either under the Family Based 1st Preference (if unmarred) or 3rd if married and there is a "quota" that control when you will be eligible to obtain an "immigrant visa" (green card). However if you lived illegally in the U.S. for over 180 days you will need to get a waiver (and that was the only time you were in the U.S. illegally). This is a complex case and you should see a qualified immigration lawyer (you can do it by telephone).

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Cannot be determined on the facts posted, but given the time elapsed, it is likely that the process will need to be started with a new petition.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Eliza Grinberg

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not enough information to provide you with a feedback.

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Immigrant visas

Immigrant visas can lead to permanent residence in the US, but they require being sponsored by either a family member or employer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,473 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,473 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering