I was approached by a police officer who then searched me found a verry snall amount of marijuana and he then searcjed the car

Fort Worth, TX |

he found a pipe and my celluar phone he asked me for my password and i told him i beilived that was illegal and i wouldnt tell him so he said okay now it is mine and he seized it. is that legal?

1. Hire a criminal attorney IMMEDIATELY and discuss ALL the facts and circumstances, including the story about the cell phone and the car search.

You MAY have options that MAY impact the admissibility of the evidence against you.

Don't go online with your case facts again--bad idea inb a criminal case to discuss the issues in an open, public forum that the authorities could, if they chose to, use to ID the Asker.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

2. Mr. Rafter is absolutely correct. An officer can approach a person. What the officer can and cannot do depends on the nature of and basis for the encounter.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

3. Consult with an attorney.

This is not a legal advice or solicitation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney. I work for Cardinal Risk Mangement and Cardinal Intellectual Property, IP service companies, but not law firms. I also am the president of Vepachedu Educational Foundation Inc., which is a non profit educational foundation. I also write cultural and scientific compliations for the foundation. I also teach at Northwestern university as a guest lecturer. I also provide some pro-bono guidance on immigration and other issues through Indian American Bar Association. I also have a contract with Cardinal Law Group, a law firm, for IP projects. All this information is on my profile at Avvo and also at Linkedin. Any views/opinions expressed in any context are my personal views in individual capacity only, and do not represent the views and opinions of any firm, client, or anyone else, and is not sponsored or endorsed by them in any way.