I was an exempt employee in training and quit when i decided it wasn't the right position for me. can they not pay me?

Baltimore, MD |

I was an exempt employee for 7 days and then decided it wasn't the right position for me. so i called and left a message w/ the office manager that i quit. now they say "they don't have to pay me because I was only observing..." is this legal?

Generally, you should be paid for time spent "training" if the training is required before you are able to start the job. Unless you have something in writing saying the training is not paid, you should be compensated. In Maryland, failure to pay wages that have been earned may subject the employer to treble damages and attorneys' fees. You should contact an attorney and discuss your situation. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Neil S. Hyman, Esquire
Law Office of Neil S. Hyman, LLC
4416 East West Highway, Suite 400
Bethesda, Maryland 20814
Licensed in DC & MD