I was an at will employee. I feel I was wrongfully terminated. Can I sue the company and win?

Asked about 5 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

The supervisor I worked under assured me that if I fulfilled my specific duties, my job was secure. The project manager on the otherhand created an environment which made working very stressful. There was amittedly a power struggle going on between him and my supervisor. He constantly rediculed my work even though my supervisor assured me all was well. Soon after I pointed out to the project owners a flaw in our product (which was part of my job task), I was fired. My employee ratings were always positive (the project manager refused to fill one out for me). I was never given any indication from my supervisor that my work was not satisfactory. It has been over a year since my termination. Do I have any kind of a case? Or is my lesson that I should be more careful about who hire on with?

1. Joann Leigh Pheasant

Answered . I'm not licensed in UT so please note that you should contact an attorney in your own state who is licensed in UT. However, the general rule nationally is that at will employees may be terminated for any reason or no reason. There are narrow exceptions to this, specifically discrimination on the basis of race, religion, nationality. Even these are very difficult cases and hard to prove.

I would strongly suggest that you negotiate a good reference and move to a job that is a more positive workplace. Good luck.

The foregoing does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Gender, age, religious belief, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer. Additionally, at-will employees may resign from employment at any time, and for any reason.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/workplace-...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.