I was adopted in the Philippines by Americans, but never applied for a green card! What do I do?

Asked about 1 year ago - Oakland, CA

I was born in 1984 in the Philippines and adopted when I was 1 yr. old by US citizens. I came to the US with my adopted mother at the age of 2 with a Philippine passport. I had some stamps in it, but it was lost during a move over a decade ago. I applied for a US Passport, but I'm unsure about my citizenship. I'm told that I acquired citizenship through the CCA of 2000 under the conditions that one of my adopted parents is a US citizen, the adoption was full and final, and if I was admitted in the US as LPR. However, I'm not sure if I am a LPR because I don't have a green card. My mother didn't apply for one prior to coming to the States. I think my passport was stamped, but I can't verify if it was a I-551 stamp because I don't have it anymore. What should I do?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

3

Answered . IN all likelihood you are a USC, based on your description. Please contact an immigration attorney in person for more information. Also visit www.adoption.state.us.gov. Good site.

2. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

2

Answered . If you applied for the US passport you should also have the US citizen.
    You may have dual citizenship. I would encourage you to hire an attorney in your locality.
    Please read also here http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/ci...

3. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

1

Answered . Your first step is to make a FOIA request. You can find the form at USCIS.gov/forms.
    You will be provided a complete copy of your immigration record on CD.

You should also try to get a record of the adoption in the Philippines as well as in the United States.