I was adopted by a stepfather around 10. I want to undo that adoption.

Woburn, MA |
Filed under: Family law Adoption

My biological father was on my original birth certificate and I want to have it back that way. I am in my late 40's and want to remove the stepfather from all things. Is this possible.?

You can't undo the adoption. However, your biological father can adopt you again. This would "undo" the adoption. You should locate your biological father and ask him to adopt you again. If he is married, his spouse would also have to adopt you. Your adoptive father can't object. Please be aware that your Mother would also lose her parental rights.

THIS COMMUNICATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE CREATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Legal rights vary greatly depending on specific facts, and it is impossible on the basis of the recitation of a few facts to determine whether or not an individual has a viable case, what is the full range of options, or what limitations exist which may bar an individual's potential claims. ON THE BASIS OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED TO ME, I RECOMMEND THAT YOU PROMPTLY CONSULT AN ATTORNEY TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE OF LEGAL RECOURSE, IF ANY, YOU MAY HAVE. YOU SHOULD NOT RELY ON ANYTHING I HAVE STATED AS ADVICE TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN TO CONSULT AN ATTORNEY TO DISCUSS FULLY AN APPROPRIATE COURSE OF ACTION.

If you are interested in going forward, you will need to be adopted again by your biological father. There is no way that I am aware of to simply 'undo' an adoption. As with any adoption, your biological father's spouse will need to adopt you as well and both your adoptive parents' rights will be terminated in the process. Good luck!

Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. To schedule a consultation with a lawyer, and obtain advice and review of your specific legal issue, please call us today at 617-357-4898 or visit us at

I am assuming that your mother agreed to the adoption by your stepfather. In order to undo this adoption your would need to contact your biological father and have him file the necessary paperwork to have you adopted as an adult. You would need to give your stepfather notice of the proceedings but as long as you are not doing this for an illegal purpose he cannot object. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Recommended articles about Family law