I was accused of possession of 1 oz and 1/2 of marijuana and possession of 2 kolonzepin (anxiety pills). what should i do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Massapequa, NY

i went to court twice already. I Cannot afford an attorney and the judge gave me attitude for showing up today without an attorney. he suggest i run to mommy and daddy for the help but i feel that is no way to grow up an take responsibility. The first time i went to court the DA suggested to ACOD the marijuana charges and drop the pill possession to disorderly conduct pending evaluation. But when i went to the 2nd date (today) the judge spoke to me in such a rude condescending manner, as if were a second class citizen. Do the miranda rights still exist? ".... if you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed for you.." Correct? I do not know what to do, from this point. What is my next best course of action for my next court date?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . if the judge won't appoint you a public defender, there is not much you can do other than find a way to hire a lawyer.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Get an attorney do not do this by yourself, too much at stake. Judge should appointment either legal aid or 18b. Miranda rights only are for statements made.

3. Marco Caviglia

3

Answered . First, you need an attorney, whether hired or appointed because you are indigent. Second, the longer you delay, the worse the court's attitude will be since you are delaying proceedings. Go to the local public defender or legal aid office to see if you can qualify.

4. Arkady Bukh

Pro

2

Answered . You should at least speak with an attorney even for a short consultation. It the court has denied you a public defender, they do not consider you indigent. You need to bring some representation with you to your next hearing, because the judge has requested this and because they apparently believe you can afford one and won't cut you any slack on this.

5. James Andrew Mcglynn

2

Answered . Many poeple think that they are entitled to appopintment of an attorney, and the court deternmines that they not. there can be a number of reasons. You need to speak to attorneys about your case to make sure you can not afford it, and if that is the case bring w-2's, tax returns or school transcript. If you are under 19 and/or live at home you should bring a parent and they need to provide proof that they can not afford an attorney. The judge will not allow you to take a plea on a drug case without representation, and a parent if you are under age.

6. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

3

1

Answered . Most of the attorneys who participate here offer free, if limited, consultations. Take advantage of that and speak with local criminal defense attorneys to specifically educate yourself about the procedures that will be utilized and to secure appointed counsel. You might after that investigative determine that hiring private counsel is too important and the risks too great to allow this to be a maturing event in your life. The immediate consequences of your case are not likely to be severe; they may even seem to you to be a bargain. The real significance of the charges for a young person like you will show up later--when you are applying to schools, for financial aid, for a job, for a professional license . . . I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell you.

One or more answers have been taken down.