I was accused of a sex crime and vindicated in court. Can I sue the Law Enforcement agency?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

I have a prior sex crime conviction. A woman that was close to me found out and began blackmailing me to get money. Because of my prior my wife and I went along with it for a year. We got tired of it and told her we would pay no more. She in turn made an outlandish statement to the police and I was arrested. I have been vindicated in the court of law after spending $150,000 due to the patrol officers lack in investigative work. Is this grounds for a lawsuit? If so, what can I sue for and what type of lawyer would I need?

1. Vitaliy Kertchen

Pro

1

Answered . There aren't enough facts here to judge whether you have a cause of action. You need a civil rights lawyer.

2. Adrian Martinez Madrone

Pro

Answered . Yes, this could possibly be grounds for a lawsuit. However, the potential for succeeding in a lawsuit against law enforcement is extremely case-specific. You will want to find an attorney with experience filing civil rights claims in U.S. federal court. Ideally, you will want an attorney with experience bringing claims against law enforcement.

3. Malosack Berjis

Answered . I agree with Mr. Kertchen. Issues, such as the one you have presented, are very fact-intensive, and you have not provided enough information. Additionally, would need a civil rights attorney.