I was a victim of an domestic violence assault on 2/28/10. I want to file a civil suit for damages. Am I within the time allowed

Asked over 1 year ago - Puyallup, WA

I lost my job the day I went back to work, ending my 17 year career. Haven't worked since. Suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Depression and financially I am ruined. What chances to I have and am I within the time limits? I would have filed sooner but just haven't been strong enough to face it. Thank you

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your cause of action likely is that of a personal injury. In WA, the time limit to file a lawsuit based on personal injury is 3 years from the date of the incident.

    Given that today is already March 2013, a lawsuit based on an incident occurring in February 2010 is pass the 3-year limit.

    On another hand, lawsuits based on abuse sometimes have different ways of calculating the time limit.

    You can review the specific facts with your attorney to see whether your case has a longer time limit.

  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Normally the statute of limitations for personal injury is 3 years. For intentional torts like assault, however, it is often 2 years. You should consult with a personal injury attorney for more info. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on personal injury for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,709 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,709 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering