I was a victim of an domestic violence assault on 2/28/10. I want to file a civil suit for damages. Am I within the time allowed

Puyallup, WA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

I lost my job the day I went back to work, ending my 17 year career. Haven't worked since. Suffer from PTSD, Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Depression and financially I am ruined. What chances to I have and am I within the time limits? I would have filed sooner but just haven't been strong enough to face it. Thank you

1. Your cause of action likely is that of a personal injury. In WA, the time limit to file a lawsuit based on personal injury is 3 years from the date of the incident.

Given that today is already March 2013, a lawsuit based on an incident occurring in February 2010 is pass the 3-year limit.

On another hand, lawsuits based on abuse sometimes have different ways of calculating the time limit.

You can review the specific facts with your attorney to see whether your case has a longer time limit.

2. Normally the statute of limitations for personal injury is 3 years. For intentional torts like assault, however, it is often 2 years. You should consult with a personal injury attorney for more info. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on personal injury for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes