Skip to main content

I was a victim of a crime many years ago now. I was looking into getting those records. Is that possible?

Pikeville, KY |

All the details is in the question.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Depends on how long ago. I'd start by contacting the police department that investigated the incident.

  2. If the case was prosecuted in District or Circuit Court, go to the clerk's office of the county where the case was prosecuted and you can get a record of the court's documents. You can contact the County or Commonwealth Attorney's Office and ask for their help in reviewing their internal office files as well.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  3. While the other attorneys have thoroughly answered your question, I would just note that you could also send a written open records request (pursuant to the Kentucky Open Records Act, KRS 61.870-61.884) to the state agencies that investigated the incident.

    Kristin M. Russell is an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Per Avvo guidelines, these answers are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. This response does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics