I was a tenant in a very high-end apartment complex paying $7500 a month for a year and a half.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was a tenant at a high-end apartment complex paying $7500 a month every month in good standing. The building was then sold to new ownership and somewhere in that transition my paperwork's botched and it showed I was one month late when I was not and I was evicted from my apartment. I now have all of my paperwork together and it shows that they were wrong and that I did pay and I was wrongfully evicted from my apartment. Because the month I was evicted was actually a paid month What can I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Paul Francis Easlick

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your chance to present your evidence was before entry of judgment. If you filed an answer and there was a trial, that was the time for this evidence. If you failed to file an answer and judgment was entered by default, you waived your right to present evidence at all.

    You have to decide what you want and how much you want to pay for it. Do you want to be reinstalled in the apartment, or do you simply want the judgment erased from your record? Although there might be some remedies in this case, they are tenuous at best and will be expensive in every case. (You will need the assistance of counsel.) I think the best solution is for you to contact the landlord with your evidence of payment. If the landlord is reputable, and you were as good a tenant as you say, there is a good chance that it will have the judgment vacated and allow you to stay. You do not say when judgment was entered or whether or not you have been evicted yet. If you still are in possession, make this overture immediately. The sheriff will be at your door in a couple of weeks after entry of judgment if counsel for the landlord does it right.

    As a aside, you might consider enlisting the assistance of a good attorney in your area. If the landlord's attorney is competent and professional, miracles can be worked with a couple of phone calls.

    Good luck to you.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If the unlawful detainer lawsuit is still pending, you you already moved out, then possession is no longer at issue and the case will convert to a regular civil case for damages if the landlord continues to pursue it. If the landlord does not dismiss the unlawful detainer, then at the trial, you would present evidence of payment of the rent.

    If you want to be pro-active and wish to sue for wrongful eviction, you will need the assistance of a litigation attorney.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  3. Rares Michael Ghilezan

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . When was the unlawful detainer case decided? You have 30 days after receiving the Notice of Entry of Judgment to appeal the decision.

    The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice... more

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Edwin Arnold Anderson

Can I Break My Lease Early?

This question comes up on Avvo a lot. I'm writing this guide for reference so that you might be able to find it. Remember, every situation is different. Don't merely rely on this guide--... more

Notice to vacate property

A notice to vacate is a written notice from a landlord telling a tenant to move by a certain date. Often you'll have 30 days to leave, but state laws vary.

Caspar S. Jivalagian


A step-by-step approach to handling California Unlawful Detainer Actions NOTICE 3-Day-Notice to Cure or Quit: This notice is usually used when a tenant has failed to tender or if there is a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,324 answers this week

3,083 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,324 answers this week

3,083 attorneys answering