I was a passenger in an auto accident in 2008

Manteca, CA |

can i still file a claim and recieve money for that accident? it was a head on collision

1. Five years is a very long time to wait

See a local attorney about whether you can get some theory together on this.

2. Depends is the answer to your question. You really need to present more facts as per the injuries and time of discovery of those injuries

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.

3. Need to know more information such as your age at the time of the incident (if a minor the statute of limitations would be extended; or was a lawsuit ever filed etc etc where you represented by counsel etc - be aware that the statute of limitation for personal injury claims in California is two years from date of incident (with a few exceptions) You need to immediately call a local attorney to see if you still have time to file a claim,

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

4. How old were you?

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

5. I think you shot yourself in the foot by waiting this long. Note than likely you have missed the statute of limitations but you should talk to a personal injury lawyer.

6. Thats a long long time to wait. The SOL in CA for personal injury is generally 2 years, but it could be shorter or longer depending upon certain things (i.e. against a Govt entity, if the plaintiff is a minor, if the defendant left the jurisdiction), etc... You should definitely consult with an attorney and give them all the information for an accurate opinion.