I was a passenger in a car accident last Sunday on the FDR. I hit my head and and lower back. I'm single mom who can't afford a

10009 |

I lawyer but want to see if I have a case. I went urgent care who said I was just bruised from inside, but then got a call saying my spine has curve and other things related to my age. Before the accident I was fine I have a hard time walking and my head still hurts. Looking for some advice and I would like the driver at least to pay my medical expense if I don't have case. Any lawyer recommendations. I can't even pick up my baby that how much my back hurts. Thank you for taking time to read this.

Use the "find lawyer" function to find a personal injury lawyer. There are plenty of good ones in Avvo and they will be happy to talk to you and take your case on a contingency if they think it is a good one. Despite those on this site who advise everybody to look for a lawyer with a low fee, you will find that they all charge the same.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Lawyers that handle these types of cases handle them on what's called a "contingency fee basis". That means you only pay if you receive money and then you pay out if the money you receive. You should call a lawyer that handles accident cases as soon as you feel up to it. The lawyer should speak to you for free.

Whether or not you have a case, you should be able to find an attorney to help guide you through this situation. Attorneys who handle these matters typically charge a fee contingent on a recovery, meaning that there is no up front cost to you.

Something else that may ease your anxiety is this: your initial medical treatment and follow up care with a doctor who can examine your back will be covered under New York's no fault system. The attorney you consult with will generally handle filing an appropriate no fault application (which must be filed within 30 days) and will also help you re-coup out of pocket expenses relating to your care and time out of work.

Whether you have a case is dependent upon whether your injuries are 'serious' under our law, which is a question that cannot be answered until more information is known about your injuries. Many firms will agree to assist you in a case and protect your rights even where the question of serious injury is not clear. Many here on Avvo would be willing to offer a free consultation and guide you through this process. Pick one and give them a call.

Good luck!

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.

Most lawyers will handle a personal injury case on a contingency fee basis which means no money up front and no fee at all unless the lawyer recovers some money for you. You can afford a lawyer. Use the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" tab to get a good experienced personal injury lawyer for your claim.

The offers of help are coming from knowledgeable attorneys. Remember, you have only thirty days from the date of the accident to file for no fault benefits. Your medical bills will be paid by no fault until their doctors declare that you have reached maximum medical improvement. That declaration will be inaccurate in most cases. Filing for arbitration, staying the arbitration, and pursuing the personal injury claim should be done by an attorney knowledgeable in this area. You can find one by using the find a lawyer tab here on Avvo.

We are serious lawyers for the seriously injured. I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not legal advice. These opinions are thoughts based on New York practice. We have no attorney-client relationship. Conducting a conversation with me through the avvo comments section does not create an attorney-client relationship. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future performance.

Since you were a "passenger" it is unlikely anyone can place blame on your for the collision. Typically cases like this are handled on a contingent fee basis. You pay nothing unless money comes to you.
As far as a lawyer is concerned use the AVVO find a lawyer feature OR the New York lawyers who have responded to your question are top notch and anyone would be an excellent choice.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

A lawyer will evaluate it. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to located a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

Licensed & have offices in PA & NJ ONLY. (Philadelphia, PA & Marlton, NJ)

You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible. 1) You may have a case for your "injury" to recover money for what is called pain & suffering. and 2) to help you get your No Fault insurance benefits to pay your medical bills & this MUST be done within 30 days of the accident.
I suggest that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney so that they can evaluate your case and help you make the right decisions. Most personal injury attorneys will provide a free consultation.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

You should contact an attorney with experience in personal injuries cases right away as there statutes of limitations (time limits) that must be complied with. Attorneys who advertise that there is "no fee unless we recover money for you" work on a contingency basis. Look for a lawyer that provides a "free consultation".