Skip to main content

I was a nurse in MA for 16 years, I left nursing to obtain treatment for an addiction to pain medication as a result of a long

Boston, MA |

Term illness. The BON suspended my license. I have been clean 3 years now. I recently completed an EMT -b program and was the top student in the class. DPH is refusing to allow me to test to be certified, because of my history of illness. I believe my civil rights have been violated. Can I sue DPH for the right to test?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need to contact an attorney who handles nurse licensing issues.


The vast majority of the lawyers on this forum are not in Massachusetts. The answer to your question is going to be rooted deeply in the Commonwealth's specific laws on this subject. Ergo, you may not get a helpful response here. I recommend that you use avvo or google to find a Boston-area law firm that appears to represent hospital, doctors, and nurses when they are sued for malpractice. In the business, we call these folks "defense attorneys." Call the firm and ask to speak to an attorney about a nursing licensing issue in MA. Many defense firms not only defend medical providers in court, they also represent them before the licensing board. My guess is contacting a law firm like this will get you the help you need or they will be able to direct you to the right attorney.


I echo the advice of others in that you should contact an attorney who regularly represents doctors and nurses in front of the Boards of Registration in Medicine and Nursing.


Best bet is to find a lawyer in your city who regularly represents nurses and doctors in nursing or medical board cases.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer