I was a new denied Unemployment under section 1277 in California after providing proof of disability during the claim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

My original Unemployment claim was 08/11/2012 to 08/10/2013, however I had to suspend the UI claim for 6 months (Sept.11, 2012 - April 5, 2013) and received SDI. Once I was authorized to return back to work in April I re-opened the UI claim. The claim had recently expired on August 10, 2013 with a balance of $1052, I asked the EDD rep what my next step would be and I was instructed to file a new claim.

Soon after I filed the new claim online I was mailed a denial letter stating that because I didn't work or earn at least $1300 in the last 12 months the new claim is invalid. However the letter did say that I may appeal if I was diabled.

During the appeal, I presented proof of disability during the claim, and still denied.

Is this fair since I was disabled for 6 mos? What should I do?

1. Then appeal. Be prepared to prove your period of disability. Preview section 1277 before your appeal so you understand what you have to prove.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.