I was 28 when I got pregnant by a 17 year old, which he said he was 19. Now I'm 32 am I still able to get in trouble?

Asked 10 months ago - Denver, CO

I want to go to court to file for full custody, but dont want it to flip around and me end up in trouble. Could anyone please help.

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

2

Answered . The normal statute of limitations for a felony is 3 years from the date of offense. However, there can be circumstances that can impact that. My expectation is that you would have been charged a long time ago if the DA intended to do so. So, I would contact a family law attorney here to file a Petition for Allocation of Parenting Responsibilities and Child Support and who also knows criminal defense law. Many of us offer either free or discounted initial consultations.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

2

Answered . Felony sex assault on a child has no statute of limitations. Misdemeanor sex assault has a limitation period of 6 years. However, if the father was 17 when you had consensual sex then it is not a crime in Colorado unless you were in a position of trust (such as a guardian, teacher, coach, etc) or closely related to him.

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

2

Answered . Doubtful. A criminal action should be barred by the statute of limitations by now. To be safe ask a Colorado lawyer.