I wanted to know if there's anyway to get a free divorce because i haven't been with my husband since 3 months after marry

Asked over 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

We haven't been together and I been contacting about this but I get the run around I just want a divorce no extra perks we been seperated for a long time and haven't lived together for awhile I just want this over with

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

4

10

Answered . I agree with Attorney Bliven, go to the Office of the Self-Represented within Bronx Supreme Court and have patience. If you want to avoid the "run around" you'll probably have to pay for a professional to assist you. That said, if there are no children or property involved, the help of a professional should not be very expensive. Good luck!

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

5

Answered . The short answer is that all lawyers charge for their services, so if you wish to hire a lawyer for the divorce, the answer is probably not for free. You may qualify for "poor person relief," which generally waives the court fees. I thus encourage you to go to the Office of the Self-Represented within Bronx Supreme Court to inquire what assistance you can receive. If you are nevertheless looking to consult a lawyer for free, I encourage you to call a Bronx Co. Divorce lawyer to schedule an appointment.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. Daniel Yaniv

Pro

4

Answered . You may want to contact legal aid in your area to determine if you qualify based upon your income (please note that there is typically a wait list for their services). While it's not free, we do offer an affordable option. Please visit our website www.uncontesteddivorceny.com for more information.

4. Howard A. Schwartz

4

Answered . You can contact the legal aid society to see if you are eligible. Another option would be to check out the New York State Office of Court Administration website and try to process the action without a lawyer's involvement. Good luck.

5. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

Answered . If you qualify for legal aid and wait until your name reaches the top of the list, then you may get a free divorce. Otherwise reach out to a reasonably priced divorce lawyer in your area. Court filing fees in the NYC area are $335 plus whatever the attorney charges. If your wife agrees to sign the paperwork and there are no assets to divide, then it is a simple and inexpensive matter.

6. Maria C. Tebano

1

Answered . Nothing is for free. Attorneys will require payment for their services and court will require filing fees. You can use the followint site to attempt to get it done on your own: http://www.nycourts.gov/divorce/forms.shtml