Skip to main content

I wanted to know if i could file a civil suit against a psychotherapist and the facility she works at?

Detroit, MI |
Filed under: Divorce

I was seeing the therapist for 3 years found out recently that my records since the time i started seeing her were false. i contacted the director of the facility who told me it was nothing she could do and I should just sue her. this therapist also attacked me verbally because after being on vacation for a week i could not see her and my psychiatrist in the same day. I have the text messages and several letters that she wrote on my behalf which totally contradict her notes. I even have a decision from a disability judge who did not even consider the letter she wrote because it directly contradicted her notes.

I meant that she was on vacation for a week. She also failed to follow the policy for transferring me to a new therapist. There is more to state but it is too much to place on here. Also what type of an attorney would I need to help me if I am able to sue.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As the other attorney stated you should consult with an attorney in private to see if y do in fact have a cause of action against the therapist. You would be looking for a personal injury or medical malpractice attorney. You can find several not he find a lawyer section of this site and many offer free consultations. Good luck.



Thank you for your response. I just was not sure what type of lawyer I would need to consult.


Take your allegations and evidence to an attorney for review. Be prepared to pay for the consultation.
Therapists are entitled to their impressions and opinions, and to change them over time and as new information becomes available or known.
That you disagree with the opinions does not alone give rose to a cause of action.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .


In order to even have some possibility of a case, you would need to prove that you suffered some type of injury or hardship due to the conduct of the therapist. As the other attorney stated, she or he will be entitled to their option. Failure to follow protocol for transfer of therapy in absence of injury is not grounds for a lawsuit. If you are unhappy with your therapist, and you feel she has engaged in unethical behavior, you can report her to the state board. They can investigate the matter if they feel it's worth doing so.

Tara Candela RN

Tara Candela RN


option = opinion.



I am aware of that. However I can prove the blatant falsification of records and the hardship and injury that i have suffered. i did not want my question to be lengthy and turn into a novel and I should have worded it differently. When the only thing that I wanted to know was the type of lawyer that I could consult. However thank you for your response.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer