I wanted to get a legal separation . I do not want to get a divorce . I don't want to sign these divorce papers .

Asked over 1 year ago - Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA

My husband just informed me that he just signed a one yr lease he took $ 600 . 00 from me to do this . . Can he do this ? Can I get him for abandonment in Calif ? He wants me to sign papers that I do not understand ? Is there anyone out there that I can fax these papers to ? Just to tell me if I will get nothing or if I'm being taken advantage of ? There aren't any children involved , He also is the bread winner . we have been married for 4 yrs . I do not want to sign these papers . I do not want this divorce . what can I do ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael Charles Schwerin

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Don't sign anything. Call around and get yourself a consultation with an experienced family law attorney ASAP. Have the attorney review anything before you sign it.

    Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: schwerin@ix.netcom.com. Consultation fees,... more
  2. Tobie Brina Waxman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It's not clear what it is you are being asked to sign. California is a no-fault state. He does not need your consent or agreement to get a divorce. He may be asking you to sign the Acknowledgement of Receipt of the divorce papers. Signing that document just means you are acknowledging that you received the documents; it does not mean you agree or that you are committing to anything. You say you don't want the divorce, but what it sounds like is that you're fine with a divorce or separation as long as you receive some kind of financial support. You are welcome to fax the documents to my office. I can look them over for you and clarify for you what it is that has been served. I offer a free initial consultation. My fax is (888) 411-9036.

  3. Linda Calderon Garrett


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . You might want to consider calling an attorney willing to provide you with a free consultation. Also, if looking on the internet, there are attorneys who provide legal coaching services for individuals who can't afford to hire an attorney to r epresent them. In such cases, there is no need to limit your search to your area--as any attorney in California who provides coaching services can assist you.

    It sounds like you are confused and need someone willing to listen and put you in the right direction.

    Good luck!

    PLEASE READ--before emailing, commenting or calling: As a rule, I do not respond to "comments" that are designed... more
  4. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. Do mot sign anything.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested Divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,378 answers this week

2,965 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,378 answers this week

2,965 attorneys answering