I wanted to get a legal separation . I do not want to get a divorce . I don't want to sign these divorce papers .

Asked about 1 year ago - Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA

My husband just informed me that he just signed a one yr lease he took $ 600 . 00 from me to do this . . Can he do this ? Can I get him for abandonment in Calif ? He wants me to sign papers that I do not understand ? Is there anyone out there that I can fax these papers to ? Just to tell me if I will get nothing or if I'm being taken advantage of ? There aren't any children involved , He also is the bread winner . we have been married for 4 yrs . I do not want to sign these papers . I do not want this divorce . what can I do ?

1. Michael Charles Schwerin

3

Answered . Don't sign anything. Call around and get yourself a consultation with an experienced family law attorney ASAP. Have the attorney review anything before you sign it.

2. Tobie Brina Waxman

2

Answered . It's not clear what it is you are being asked to sign. California is a no-fault state. He does not need your consent or agreement to get a divorce. He may be asking you to sign the Acknowledgement of Receipt of the divorce papers. Signing that document just means you are acknowledging that you received the documents; it does not mean you agree or that you are committing to anything. You say you don't want the divorce, but what it sounds like is that you're fine with a divorce or separation as long as you receive some kind of financial support. You are welcome to fax the documents to my office. I can look them over for you and clarify for you what it is that has been served. I offer a free initial consultation. My fax is (888) 411-9036.

3. Linda Calderon Garrett

Pro

Answered . You might want to consider calling an attorney willing to provide you with a free consultation. Also, if looking on the internet, there are attorneys who provide legal coaching services for individuals who can't afford to hire an attorney to r epresent them. In such cases, there is no need to limit your search to your area--as any attorney in California who provides coaching services can assist you.

It sounds like you are confused and need someone willing to listen and put you in the right direction.

Good luck!

4. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Do mot sign anything.