Skip to main content

I want to work but i cant give my social security number HELP.

Aurora, IL |

I am 15 years and i really want to work this summer, although my mother gets child support for me and if i work and give my SSN not only will the child support stop but i will now have to pay taxes and all that tough stuff. Can i refuse to give them my SSN ? Do you know of any jobs i can apply for ?

Attorney Answers 2


Child support will not stop and any tax you would have to pay for a summer job would be very minimal. If you are allowed to work at 15, give the employer your SSN.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Unless your parent's child support order contains a really unusual provision related to your own income, your own income will not affect the legal obligations to support you. You may have to be creative in your job search, and don't overlook volunteer work. When approached sincerely and diligently, it can lead to paying work.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics