I want to use vocal tracks from other artists, and lay them over my own original music. Is this illegal if I don't profit?

Bangor, ME |

My only intention with these songs, or "remixes", is to post them on and see what people think. I don't want to profit financially in any way.

Didn't I just anwer this question in another form? You'll be guilty of copyright infringement regardless of your profit motive.

Yeah, no, that's not lawful. Whether you infringe a copyright to make money or infringe a copyright just for the fun of it is irrelevant. Infringement is infringement. For which you can be sued.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

Yes, it's still infringement. The exception under 17 USC 107 ("fair use") is for non-profit EDUCATIONAL use, like in a classroom. So you need to get the licenses and for that you really need to see a copyright attorney, specifically a music lawyer.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Entertainment law topics

Recommended articles about Entertainment law