I want to transmit USA citizenship to my daughter who lives over see.

Asked 10 months ago - Nashville, TN

i am USA citizen i want to transmit USA citizenship to my daughter who lives over see.my daughter was born two month ago. I was told i have to provided proof of physical presence in USA five year before my daughter was born.now my question is does the physical presence in USA does that mean for five years continuously with out leaving the USA even for single day? . i lived in USA for 15 years out of this 15 years i lived out of USA only one year. Please i need your help and thank you in advance for your answer.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to have lived in the US for five years before her birth, two of which we're were after your 14th birthday.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your child's acquisition of US citizenship will depend on a number of factors, including the citizenship of the other parents and whether you are married to the other parent. Discuss this very fact-specific issue with an experienced immigration attorney.

    Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on Avvo.com are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.
  3. Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . If your daughter were born 2 months ago, how come she was born overseas?

    This answer is not intended to replace a consultation with an attorney and does not create an attorney-client... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,917 answers this week

2,869 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,917 answers this week

2,869 attorneys answering