I want to transmit USA citizenship to my daughter who lives over see.

Nashville, TN |

i am USA citizen i want to transmit USA citizenship to my daughter who lives over daughter was born two month ago. I was told i have to provided proof of physical presence in USA five year before my daughter was my question is does the physical presence in USA does that mean for five years continuously with out leaving the USA even for single day? . i lived in USA for 15 years out of this 15 years i lived out of USA only one year. Please i need your help and thank you in advance for your answer.

If your daughter were born 2 months ago, how come she was born overseas?

This answer is not intended to replace a consultation with an attorney and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not contact me expecting additional free advice. If you contact me privately, I will email you an invoice for a consultation and will advise you only after the invoice is paid. Thank you.

Your child's acquisition of US citizenship will depend on a number of factors, including the citizenship of the other parents and whether you are married to the other parent. Discuss this very fact-specific issue with an experienced immigration attorney.

Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.

You need to have lived in the US for five years before her birth, two of which we're were after your 14th birthday.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration