I want to switch F-1 to J-1 for medical residency.

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Dear Mr. Shusterman and others. I really appreciate your answers. Do I have to go back to my country or I can go to Canada and get my J-1 stamped? As I understood from your answers it is better to get it stamped outside the US than do Adjustment of Status in US. Because i have a single entry F1 visa if i go back to my country chances are good they won't let me come back to US. What about Canada? Will they deny it in Canada and say that i have to go back to my country to get J-1?

1. F. J. Capriotti III

1

1

Answered . Many people incorrectly think that going to Canada is a safer/better option than going home for a visa stamp.

Sure, you can 'try' to get a stamp in Canada, but you should be prepared for them to tell you to go home ... directly from Canada and not via the US.

Meet with an attorney, your foreign student adviser should be able to give you a referral, to learn more about the 'proper' way to proceed.