I want to switch F-1 to J-1 for medical residency.

New York, NY |

Dear Mr. Shusterman and others. I really appreciate your answers. Do I have to go back to my country or I can go to Canada and get my J-1 stamped? As I understood from your answers it is better to get it stamped outside the US than do Adjustment of Status in US. Because i have a single entry F1 visa if i go back to my country chances are good they won't let me come back to US. What about Canada? Will they deny it in Canada and say that i have to go back to my country to get J-1?

Many people incorrectly think that going to Canada is a safer/better option than going home for a visa stamp.

Sure, you can 'try' to get a stamp in Canada, but you should be prepared for them to tell you to go home ... directly from Canada and not via the US.

Meet with an attorney, your foreign student adviser should be able to give you a referral, to learn more about the 'proper' way to proceed.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Recommended articles about Employment