I want to sue my father .

Asked almost 2 years ago - 10452

Can I

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

10

Answered . For what?

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

10

Answered . For certain things yes. For other things now. If you don't want to discuss it on this board, then private email one of the attorneys that responds to you for an indepth answer.

3. Jay Bodzin

9

Answered . Why? For what?

In general, to sue someone, you need to show that they have caused you a cognizable (that is, quantifiable - preferably in terms of a monetary amount) injury, by some unlawful or negligent conduct. You can't just do it for a purely emotional reason. The courts do not exist to validate your feelings or resolve personal acrimony. They are there to resolve conflicts that society cannot tolerate being unresolved - and they do it far from perfectly.

People have this notion that suing someone will be this glorious redemptive process, where their every injury will be avenged and all their feelings validated. This belief is staggeringly wrong. Lawsuits are intensely unpleasant. They force the parties to live through whatever injuries they originally suffered, for months or years. You have to answer tons of difficult questions, over and over again, and if you change your story even a bit, you can be sunk. They rarely go perfectly - the law often produces results that one side or another considers to be unjust, for technical reasons - or just because "justice" is a pretty subjective concept. The other side has every motive, and every right, to attack your honesty, your conduct, and your motives. And, of course, you need to shell out a fairly large amount of money, most of the time. This is true even if your lawyer is working for a contingent fee, where they don't get paid if they win. And it's certainly true if you lose, and you have to pay the other side's attorney fees, which can be huge.

At this point, you've given us absolutely zero information to determine whether you can sue anyone or not. This is the most vague and unhelpful posting I've ever seen on this site. For all I know, you have a great case. But there's no way anyone can say without knowing the facts of your situation, whatever it might be. At the moment, I wouldn't even know where to send you, I'm afraid.

I suggest you try posting again, with a little more information: What injury have you suffered? Note that it almost certainly can't be a purely emotional injury - those suits are incredibly hard to win, almost impossible. With a little more information, a lawyer who practices in your state might be able to say more.

Please read the following notice:

4. Judy A. Goldstein

9

Answered . You can sue anyone for anything. Will you win the lawsuit is the more important question. Why do you want to sue your father?

5. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

5

Answered . In the Bronx you can bring a lawsuit. Problem is you are not specifying what the issue is.

6. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

5

Answered . You would need to specify your claim. Moreover, you would need to specify your age, as if you are underage the court would generally need to assign you a guardian. Since you posted in the sub-category of "child custody," I thus encourage you to schedule a consultation with a Bronx Co. Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  7. Maria C. Tebano

3

Answered . It depends on what you want to sue him for and if the statute of limitations on whatever you want to sue him on has not expired. More facts are necessary.