I want to sue my child's school district in California.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

The case would exceed the small claims court maximum of $10,000. So what court would I submit a claim in to sue the school district if the claim amount is over $10,000?

1. Robert Bruce Kopelson

3

Answered . You dont say why you think they are liable. Most claims against a school district require that you serve a Government tort claim notice w/in 6 months of the incident. The notice must contain certain info and the entity will provide you with the blank form they require. It must be served on the proper person at the district. there are complex time procedures involved. if the claim is rejected, expressly or by lack of timely reply, then a lawsuit can be filed in Superior Court. if the tort claim isnt filed on time, then another complex procedure must be followed, ultimately it usually means filing an application in court for leave to file a late claim.

Id suggest you consult with a local atty immediately. These are not easy matters, and not at all like small claims court.

Pro

4

Answered . You must provide proper notice, or you could sabotage your good claim. The personal injury lawyers from your state who answered above provide free consultations, so call one of them to discuss in detail.

3. William Peter Daley

1

1

Answered . First, you need to be aware that there is a statute (legal requirement) which requires you to notify any governmental entity, including the school district, of your intent to file a claim. The statute can be a short as 90 days. As far as answering your question, the court that you would file your claim in would be the Superior Court.

http://lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com/san-diego-pe...

4. Sean Michael Patrick

1

Answered . Consult with an attorney. This case will need to be filed in superior court. Depending on the type of claim, you may also have to follow other procedural rules in order to sue.

5. Michael Shemtoub

Answered . What are the facts of your case?

6. Atticus Newkirk Wegman

Answered . School districts in CA are government entities and therefore there is a statutory time limit by which you will need to submit a claim to that particular entity. In CA, this period is 6 months from the date of the incident. The claim does not involve the court and must be submitted separately. The claim will need to be rejected on unanswered before a lawsuit should be filed. I would advise you to seek a local personal injury attorney in your area.