Skip to main content

I want to sue DMV, how can I do it.

Tracy, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I'm a class A (commercial driver) on 01/05/2009 I got ticket in Oklahoma for failure to pay toll. (California License) I paid the ticket and tell when I got home. about after two months Oregon stopped me for random inspection and told me that my license was suspended in Oklahoma so I can't drive in Oregon either. I received my reinstatement order from Oklahoma after two weeks and I went to Tracy, CA DMV. They said your license is't suspended and they don't have any problem with it. So was on road.

2nd story

10-01-2010 I lost my license and went to dmv on 10-04-10 to get duplicate license, they charged me fee and gave me INTERIM COMMERCIAN DRIVER LICENSE (paper license) valid for two months. I never recieved my license. I went to dmv and the said that I've Failure to pay and FTA.

I called Oklahoma and they said they don't have any problem with my license. and they can send me Reinstatement Order (clearance certificate) I told DmV and they said they want it to sent to their computer. Which Oklahoma can't do, they said there is nothing they can do as it's showing that they have everything fine in their computer. I started calling DMV and they transfered me few time (2 or 4) and they gave me number for PDPS. I called them and it's still showing same thing. Lady took my phone number and told me that they will call me within two weeks. And they do not want paper (reinstatement order) all they want is in their computer. I drive truck and I'm unemployed without license. I'm loosing my money and might lose my truck too if I don't get my license soon, cuz I won't able to make payment of my truck.

Attorney Answers 2


I believe what you should do is get an OK attorney to get the Order for you from their DMV order it yourself. Do the same for CA. You will not get anywhere suing the DMV.- although I guess you could get a writ of mandate from the court. You would still need certified copies of Ok and CA DMV recorsds.

Mark as helpful


SUing the DMV is an exhausting process. For any government entity there are a number of loops you have to go through. Also they may have government immunity for their misfeasance. The first step is to exhaust all administrative procedures so I'd get a certified record from the DMV in CA and OK.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics