I want to sue a methadone clinic for discrimination, retaliation, punitive damages, and lack of due process.

Denver, CO |

Me and my wife have a son and are expecting one more child. I currently go to school and maintain a 4.0 average. We are on methadone and "receive treatment" from OBHS Denver Health. This incident involves a nurse there who at first refused my wife's intake, claiming my wife was not pregnant and was trying to get free methadone. We brought a complaint against them and later got admitted, since then the nurse has been watching my wife. Yesterday, there was a line of over 120 people. It took 2 hours to dose. As a result, I missed a class, and several other people suffered as well. My wife tried to fend for me in front of this nurse. This nurse became angry, saying "if you weren't an addict, you wouldn't have to wait in line". She brought it to the team and we lost phases, privileges.

The fact that you believe that the nurse was unprofessional, although unfortunate, does not support a lawsuit. Pretty much every profession - nursing, teaching, accounting, etc. - have people who at times act unprofessionally, unethically, or immorally. I do not see anything in her behavior though that supports your claim that you can sue OBHS Denver Health or the nurse. You brought a complaint against her, which was your recourse. The fact that you missed a class does not amount to any recognizable economic damages. You need to have economic damages and actual damages to sue. Not simply hurt feelings, humiliation, and embarrassment. You can talk to personal injury attorneys on this site. However, I doubt any of them will even consider your case. Sorry

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

I agree with Mr. Leroi. It's difficult to imagine how you can pursue a claim here and prevail.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.