I want to sue a former partner for embezzlement.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Puyallup, WA

I put up the money he brought the knowledge. After purchasing the product he lost his job and all the proceeds went straight to paying his bills and never once did he make a deposit into the account. We were over and done in less than 6 months. This has been about 6 years ago is there a statue of limitations that I may have exceeded?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Though your question is posted under "White Collar Crime," you say you want to "sue." As to the almost six years passing, the statute of limitations is three years for most felonies of this nature, so it is probably too late for any criminal case. The same for any civil suit based on oral promises.
    For written agreements, the statute of limitations is six years, so if you have a written agreement between the two of you that he violated, then you have a chance, but must act fast since it was "about" six years ago. Under the "discovery" rule in civil cases, the six years may only start to run from when you found out he was embezzling the funds.
    If there is no written agreement, it appears your are most likely out of luck. Always act as promptly as possible in pursuing a clear legal wrong.

  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to talk to law enforcement not to a bunch of defense attorneys that would representing HIM.

  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Earl and suspect that you are correct as to the time limits. In addition to law enforcement, you might see local counsel to determine if there are any causes of action under WA law.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for embezzlement

Embezzlement is dishonestly redirecting or withholding assets from a business, often falsifying accounting records to make expenses appear legitimate.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now