I want to sue a former employer for lying about the reason I was fired.

Asked about 5 years ago - Tyler, TX

Under Texas state law, can a former employer legally tell or give their opinions to a potential future employer,when the potential employer calls JUST for verification of past employment at their establishment? What can I do if someone,in the above mentioned corp.management team,offers and provides false,defamating/slanderous information to a potential employer and that potential employer losing interest and not hiring me directly from the false,slanderous comments made by that former manager? Can I sue the corp. or individual for defamation of character and/or slander? I have a 20+year impeccable reputation in this town, that has been HUGELY damaged by this former employer's slanderous comments causing 6 mths of unemployment & financial ruin for my famliy and I !! Thank you

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . If you are an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer. Gender, age, religious belief, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/workplace-...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.