I want to start my own fantasy football website. What sort of legal advice can you give me so I do this legally.

Mason City, IA |

On this site, I would use team names, player names, and use statistics for each player. I also would like to use ads on my site so I can get some revenue from this site.. I also will NOT use the NFL Logo, Team Logo's and NFL pictures. At one point though, I would like to use pictures of players in uniform but if I'm not mistaken, I can just ask permission/pay the photographer for the picture.
I've been calling the NFL for weeks leaving a message, asking what requirements are needed to start your own fantasy website on their voice mail each time I call, and yes I do leave a call back number just in case you anyone was wondering. And no luck whatsoever. So I was out looking around websites to get clues and I ran across this site in hope for legit legal advice.

Find a business attorney to help you sort things through. You have intellectual property issues, tax issues, liability issues, possible gambling concerns, not to mention basic entity selection, insurance concerns, etc. It will save you a bundle to meet for an hour with a good solid transactional business attorney, and then have him/her available in the future.

If you need representation, call us at (530) 758-8317 or email thelaw@mytrustedlawyer.com Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. If you want that advice from us, contact us at thelaw@mytrustedlawyer.com.

2. I would not mess around with the NFL, or their attorneys, period. If you can talk to them, sure, I guess, but think they run their own fantasy site on nfl.com and probably don't want competition.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.

Internet law topics