I want to start mobile motorcycle mechanic service. What permits and business license do I need to make it a legitimat business?

Asked 12 months ago - Orange, CA

I want to base my business location in lake forest, CA.

1. Theodore Michael Hankin

Pro

9

1

Answered . At the very least, a city business license. You might also have to register with the bureau of automotive repair, although I am not sure about that.....

Liability insurance would also be a good thing; if you hire employees, you will need to get an employer identification number for your business, and deposit payroll taxes. Workers compensation insurance is another requirement.

If you are going to use a name other than your own (i.e. a fictitious business name) then you should do a dba (doing business as) filing and publish in the local newspaper adjudicated for such publications.

If your running a vehicle, commercial vehicle insurance would be appropriate....

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

4

1

Answered . In addition to Mr. Hankin's excellent advice, most cities require you to have a business license whenever you are performing work in their city. Some cities even have representatives driving around looking for work being performed and issuing citations for persons that do not have city business licenses. It happens a lot to contractors. I suspect that performing motorcycle repairs would probably not draw their attention.

3. Armen Garabedian

2

Answered . Also consider forming a business entity such as a corporation or limited liability company to minimize your personal liability. While it takes some money to form and maintain, it may save you lots of headache and money in the future depending on your individual circumstances.

**Nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice. The post is for general informational purposes only. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.**

4. Daniel Ralph Devoy

1

1

Answered . I agree with all the previous advice. In addition, if you form a legal entity such as an LLC, you should apply for a Federal Tax ID number through the IRS website.