I want to start a business as a paid guide on private property in Virginia. How can I & the land owner be fully protected by law

Asked 9 months ago - Norfolk, VA

Clients pay a certain fee to metal detect on private property. Two guides will be there to assist and direct events and make sure landowners rules and regulations are followed. No more than 6-8 paid clients per secession which would be two days (8 hours) of metal detecting. I read that Virginia does not recognize waivers or personal liability forms as a safe measure of protection from law suites? Besides structuring the business as a corporation for some protection, how do I make sure I along with land owner are FULLY covered from accidents, acts of God, snake bites, allergic reactions, heart attack from physical activity, broken bones ,cuts, careless behavior by client, neglecting rules that cause injury, please help...I'm lost with the Virginia rules.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Insure against the risk AND hire counsel to draft an ironclad hold harmless agreement that you get the opposition to sign. Do this BEFORE anything happens and you'll save a boatload of money.

  2. Cheryl Rivera Smith

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You get your clients to sign a good hold harmless form, and buy liability insurance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,536 answers this week

2,787 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,536 answers this week

2,787 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary